Our first stop was for lunch. We headed to one of the restaurants that the Tribune had recommended. Jed was a good sport, tolerating pictures from all three of our cameras.
After lunch we browsed through some stores, and saw some very unusual products. Like dozens of varieties of (very expensive) ginseng.
In one store, we walked in and saw a fish being fileted on a butcher counter at the front. Jed stopped to watch, while we checked out some of the other groceries (dried squid, bean paste desserts, dumpling wrappers). When we came back to the front of the store, Jed drew our attention to the butcher table. On the table (still bloody from the fish), sat a toad. A live, ill-fated toad.
We waited outside the store while Jed watched as it was butchered. I hardly consider myself to be faint of heart, but to see a toad butchered was a little much for me.
After that adventure, we checked out a bakery we had seen earlier. Anne picked out a chocolate cake, Jamie got a butterfly cookie, and Jed ordered a cup of coffee. As for me? Well, I was feeling daring. I ordered two things: A Bean Paste Bun and a Preserved Duck Egg Bun.
Having only some idea of what a Bean Paste Bun was (I had heard a little about bean paste desserts while in Japan, and some about bean paste from Hauna after her trip to Korea), and NO idea whatsoever about what a Preserved Duck Egg Bun was, I was in for quite the experience.
I cut open the Preserved Duck Egg Bun to find a light paste (somewhat similar to the bean paste in my other bun), and in the center...a dark, rubbery...egg.
Jed was the first one brave enough to smell it, and then Jamie and I gave it a try.
Not good.
Perhaps needless to say after our faces above-none of us tried that duck egg. We later researched it, just to confirm that it was, in fact a duck egg. It was.
After a little more shopping, and a couple more pictures, we headed home.
No comments:
Post a Comment