One of the best parts, I think, of the vegetable and meat shares Luke and I have been participating in, is actually being able to see the difference between the sustainably farmed food and the food we have been used to eating.
In a way it is reassuring that, while always fresh and delicious, the foods we have been eating are not always picture perfect. For instance, since the vegetables are grown organically, the greens are often hole-y, a sign of lack of pesticides.
One of the first emails we received about our meat share with Cedar Valley Sustainable Farms included a warning of sorts about the eggs, which was that they might be different shades of brown, or even, blue!
While the farm mainly raises chickens that lay brown eggs, hey have been raising chickens called Araucanas, nicknamed the "Easter Egg Chicken," because they lay eggs that have bluish green shells.
When we got our first share I was anxious to see whether we had gotten one of these "Easter eggs." Much to my delight, we did!

3 comments:
That's one of the things I've enjoyed about the meat and vegetable share too. The inconsistency and flaws in some of the foods make them seem more REAL or something.
No need to use neckties to color these beauties!!
We got an Easter egg too! I had no idea why (we must not be on Cedar Valley's email list or something) so thanks for the explanation.
Post a Comment