Friday, March 28, 2008

Trends

I dislike the idea that caring about being environmentally friendly is trendy.  

I realize that there has been more attention on it lately from media and all, and that it is something many celebrities are involved in, and something businesses have started marketing to.

But that's not why I am interested in it.  

And I think that is true for most of the people I know.  I don't think that any of us are in it for the trend factor.  So while it may be more convenient now than it was ten years ago to buy organic produce or to find a car that is fuel-efficient, I think that people do things because they believe that we have a responsibility to it.  If people start thinking about it because environmental issues are getting more exposure these days, maybe they hadn't even thought of those things before.  Isn't that ok?  Can't they start now without being judged for it? 

I guess that it just offends me a little bit when people who are participating in efforts to be environmentally friendly brush off someone else's effort as trendy.  It's not that it's happened to me, personally, but I've seen undertones of it sometimes.  

Luke and I are starting a new thing through our church where we'll be getting produce and meat locally for the summer and into the fall.  I wanted to post about it (especially because we'll be clueless as to what to do with things like red mustard greens or a whole chicken, and we'll need help!), and kept coming back to these thoughts, that it would seem so trite to post about it or something.  So I just wanted to get these thoughts out there so that I can post things like that without the self-consciousness of seeming like I am trying to show how trendy we are.  I am just interested in these things, and I'm sure that other people are too (probably many even more so), so I want to share them. 

With that said, tomorrow is Earth Hour if you haven't heard.  People and businesses all over Chicago and other world cities will turn out their lights for one hour between 8pm and 9pm.  If you're interested. 

All the cool kids are doing it...

(Just kidding.  I'm kidding)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice commentary, Alli. You would do well having a little weekly column in the newspaper with your thoughts! Our lights will be out tonight from 8-9 and I will be hanging out my wash today!! love mom

The Family said...

woo hoo for earth hour! we did it (because we're the cool kids, of course!) and it was nice. we lit some candles and I actually took some time to read (by candlelight which is so much more fun!) See you Thursday! Can't wait!