Monday, May 18, 2009

Lesson Learned.

Warning: This post may contain subject matter that is distressing to a grandmother of the author. Grandmothers should read at their own discretion.

I would say that I've learned most lessons in life the easy way. You know, all the basic stuff like, love being more important than money, "Jesus" always being the correct answer in Sunday School. That kind of stuff.

Some things though, I have needed to learn (and sometimes re-learn) the hard way. Like the fact that you shouldn't try to carry 10 bags of groceries and a gallon of milk up to a second-floor apartment all at once. Inevitably, the gallon of milk will fall, burst open, and fly up walls. And, most likely it will be a 90 degree day, so that the milk will be spoiled before you're even able to wipe it all up, creating a stench that will last for hours.

On this sunny day, and after a fun weekend celebrating Luke's graduation and a good night's sleep, I decided to take a bike ride.

I had just left my apartment when I realized that I had forgotten my helmet. I debated briefly about whether I should turn back, but decided that instead I would just ride carefully for the mile and a half to the bike path. After all, I have several friends who often opt not to wear helmets (you know who you are), and they have never had any problems. I decided that, even if it is illegal, I would feel safer on the sidewalk without a helmet. I mean, after all, it is ONLY A MILE AND A HALF to the bike path!

Have I made it clear where this story is going?

I was just a mile from my apartment when I crossed an alley at the exact same time as a red Jeep Cherokee. I somehow managed to scrape up my right elbow and knuckles, but my left knee.

I'm fine, and so is my bike, with the exception of a few scrapes to both, and I have officially learned another lesson the hard way.

Ugh...

On the up side, I have now officially been hit by a car, and sustained only very minor injuries. What are the chances that someone gets hit by a car twice in life? I don't know the stats, but I'd say slim. Glad to have gotten that out of the way...

8 comments:

Sarah said...

oh alli i'm so glad that you're alright!

Amy and Andrew said...

Oh my goodness, Alli! Glad you are ok! Biking in the city can be dangerous stuff... but it only makes one stronger in the end, right?

Hauna said...

Allison Suzanne! I can't believe you didn't wear your helmet. I'm so glad you're safe!!! Don't you dare defy the odds on double hits; you're precious cargo!

Ingrid said...

Alli Alli Alli! I'm so glad you're ok. You must have been freaked out!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OH ALLI, I am crying just at the thought of what could have happened. And you can't cry over spilt milk! Please do take care. One more worry for worrywort Gram!

Jed and Anne said...

Oh, Al - I have learned a lesson from you! I am so sorry that that happened to you. When was the other time that you were hit by a car?

Ann-Marie said...

So THAT's what that smell was! Glad to have it explained. :)

As for the helmet, I'm a huge proponent of always wearing one, no matter how short your trip or where it is. I saw my dad get hit -- and hit hard -- by a car, but I've also seen a friend hit a hose at a bad angle while on her bike and fall and hit her head, resulting in a concussion.

I don't mean to lecture you. I'm very glad you're okay.

And if you ever need a hand with your groceries, knock on our door. I hate having to take multiple trips, too!

simplicity said...

Your disclaimer to grandmothers is great!! So glad you're ok!!