Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Week's Resolutions

Well, I've got this other post in the works about our time at home in Connecticut, and my Christmas break and all, but this one has been swirling around in my brain for a while, so I'm just going to go ahead and post this one first.

I'm not really one to make New Year's resolutions. They seem a little silly to me, or at least they seem like something that is silly for me to do. I'm not someone who can make grandiose commitments and stick with them for a long period of time. It's why I can't diet. I can do great for the first few hours, but by the end of the day I feel so deprived that I am sure I deserve to polish off the half dozen cookies on the counter. I don't like to push myself too hard, and I don't like to be disappointed in myself.

On the other hand, I am constantly aware of a million and one things that I could be better at in life.

So, I've come up with an idea that I hope will be something of a solution:

New Week's Resolutions.

What I would like to do is develop one small habit or skill, or accomplish one goal each week. We're not taking about life makeovers here. Just small things that I should probably be doing from day to day anyway, but that I don't.

Sounds simple, right?

I'm going to start out really easy, with something my mother will probably be embarrassed that I don't already do. This week I am going to start making our bed. Granted, this requires some commitment from Luke too, since I am not always the last one out of bed, but I think I can talk him into it (incidentally, I haven't told him about my plan yet).

For my Mental Health Nursing class I was required to observe an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. One of the things that almost everyone in the group said made a huge difference was making their beds in the morning! I heard something similar on NPR the other day from this woman:

http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/2008/12/make-your-bed.html

If making your bed is such a life-changing experience, I'd better give it a shot.

Among future resolutions (which I am posting here mainly because I am worried that I'll forget them if I don't):

  • Learn some basic cooking skills. I have no problem following a recipe, but I'd love to know how to do things like make a roux.
  • Read more.
  • Check e-mail/facebook in the morning and at night. ONLY.
  • Plan out meals for the week in advance and grocery shop.
  • Look into how to eat better food from better sources. As cheaply as possible.
And the list goes on...

Wish me luck. By the end of the year I should be new and improved.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this idea, Alli. This year, I've been teaching my students to write S.M.A.R.T. goals (Specific, Measurable, Action-Oriented, Realistic and Timed), and your weekly goal seems to fall in line. I might have to join you for this ride!

Amy and Andrew said...

No joke, I just finished telling Hauna: "Do you mind if I make my bed first. I'll feel better about myself."

Anonymous said...

We love you just the way you are. Just make your bed! Gram

Dave B. said...

we have two VERY different ideas of "basic" cooking skills.

Anne Bassett said...

Good luck to you for sure! That sounds like some really good goals! Jed and I started making our bed over the summer, and I do think that it makes a difference. I can't quite put my finger on it to describe it or anything, but it makes me feel like it is automatically a good and refreshing start to the day.
I'm excited to see you soon!

Melissa said...

This is a great idea, Alli!

simplicity said...

I love this idea! I can't leave the house until I've made my bed so hopefully you see some improvement just by making that change. I also love your grandma's comment. So sweet!