Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Things to Get Through and Things to Look Forward To

I should be sleeping right now. It's almost 5 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, I've been up since 7 a.m., and I need to work at 7 p.m. But I can't. I am too anxious and excited for this weekend and for the next few months. Anxious because I am working tonight, and tomorrow night, and will continue to work several days a month for the foreseeable future, at a job that makes me neurotic and just might drive me to drink, if it doesn't drive me to anti-anxiety meds.

I kid. Sort of.

There is actually a time, usually right about 5 or 6 a.m., when I have an overwhelming feeling of simultaneously wanting to vomit and jump up and down. The terrible anticipation of giving report to the next nurse, who will inevitably be skeptical, rude, and unnecessarily critical, combined with the thrill of leaving that place for 11 or more hours to go home to my warm bed (and to Luke, if I'm lucky), is what keeps me awake for the last hour or two of work.

Most mornings I cry. Some mornings I bite my lip hard enough that I don't. I'm not sure I've done anything this difficult since junior high.

Anyway, on to the rest of life.
This weekend we're heading out to Sioux Falls for Brooke's (Luke's sister) wedding! We'll leave straight away when I get off work on Friday morning, hoping to make it into town in time for the rehearsal. We'll spend the rest of the weekend celebrating and visiting with family.

Then, just about a month after that, we are traveling with friends to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! I think I could get by for months on this alone.

Finally, to top it all off, we are traveling home to CT on Thanksgiving day to spend six days with my family!

There is a lot to look forward to in the coming months, and if the difficulties I am having at work have any benefit, it's that they're keeping me from taking any of it for granted!

2 comments:

Amy and Andrew said...

Hang in there, Alli. I've had similar feelings about a job (as you probably know), and while our experiences are obviously different, I can definitely sympathize with how you're feeling. It can be pretty awful. I'll be thinking of you... Enjoy the respite ahead!

Sarah said...

You sweet woman! I'm sorry that your days (or nights) are not as good as we'd like. Praying for you!