Saturday, February 24, 2007

Super Bowl Sunday

(I know, it's overdue but bear with me...no pun intended...)I really like the Super Bowl. I don't know what it is...I don't know the first thing about football, as Luke will tell you (well, he would probably put it more nicely). And the commercials aren't as thrilling as they used to be. Maybe it's having a guilt-free excuse to sit in front of the TV for three+ hours.

It's like you get to put life on pause, and there is no obligation to do anything else, because everyone is watching the Super Bowl.

This year, I spent the first half of the game with Marit and Jamie at our apartment. With no pressure to even pretend to be paying full attention to the game, Marit and I knit while Jamie updated her address book.

Don't assume that there wasn't any shouting going on though. I have to say that Marit displayed a good amount of enthusiasm for the Bears.

After the halftime show, I drove over to Luke's apartment to pawn off some of the cupcakes I had made for the occassion. I had orginally made the cupcakes from scratch (carrot cake with blue cream cheese frosting-blue and orange, get it?) for a work Super Bowl party on Friday, but the frosting recipe had made about 3x the amount of frosting that I had needed for the cupcakes. So on Saturday afternoon, I bought a carrot cake mix to make more cupcakes. I still had frosting left, but Marit took care of that for me. Anyhow, I had decided that the crowd at Luke's apartment could probably finish them off. I was right.
I spent the rest of the game sharing a chair with Luke (and, I have to admit, being somewhat impressed with his thorough knowledge of the players, teams and strategy) and watching the Bears lose the Super Bowl. After all the hype, it almost didn't seem possible for them to lose. Maybe next year...

1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

looking at that picture of marit "knitting," makes me realize i've known how to "knit" my whole life and never had a clue!

i can "knit" cookie dough, cake batter, brownie mix, even pancake batter . . . yum!

being neighbors would be great fun. how soon will you make your decision?