Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Well, Luke and I have definitely had a busy summer thus far, and while there have obviously been two major changes in our lives (getting married, and then, of course living together), I would have to say that the adjustment has been rather easy. Being married and living together seemed then, and seems even more so now, very natural to me. I mean, being married to Luke that is...being married as a status still seems foreign...Am I really a wife? I check married under marital status? Did I just say, "maiden name"? Definitely strange.

Anyway, in spite of our busyness this summer, we have really been very fortunate that our busy times have been shared. We spent time with friends together, moved Luke into our apartment together, went to weddings together, traveled together, and so on.

This fall will be a different kind of busy. Luke had the summer off from school, since he would have missed too much of a summer class with the wedding and all. He also had a somewhat sparse work schedule, since not many companies want to hold conferences during peak vacation times (he's an A/V tech at a downtown hotel).

I didn't have a change in schedule over the summer, but still I work an 8:30-5:00 job, which might, on a bad day, require 15 minutes of my time outside of those hours. My commute is another story, but still, you see my point. Very regular hours, not a demanding job.



This Monday, Luke will be starting school (and simultaneously his work schedule will become busier). A month after that, I will start school, while hopefully keeping my full-time job.

It is going to be a huge adjustment for me. For Luke too, of course, but he tends to be a little bit more flexible with changes, and he is more used to an erratic schedule. I know that it will all work out and we will of course find time to spend together, but I've been spoiled. We have coffee together in the morning, we talk off and on throughout the day, we usually eat dinner together, and we generally go to bed at the same time. I just can't see things happening the same way once our schedules change.

I know, I know, we'll just have to make the most of the time we do get to spend together. And I'm sure we will. It will just be an adjustment, that's all...

3 comments:

Lindahl News 2 said...

Good luck to both of you as you experience these ch-ch-ch changes!

Melissa said...

alli: both the marathon and triathlon? audrey. overachiever. ;)

Ingrid said...

My little Alli is growing up so quickly!