Saturday, September 29, 2007

The First Week

Well, I am a nursing student.

I am taking two classes: Microbiology and Anatomy and Physiology.

It was a little bit of a crazy week. I was up at 5:30 Monday-Thursday (as it turns out, I only need to be in at 8:30 on Fridays!).

I got to work on those days at 7:30. I actually didn't at all mind being in the office an hour before everyone else, and that was probably my most productive hour of my work day.

Then at 10:30, I caught a bus to school, changed quickly into my scrubs, and headed off to class.

One pitfall of being one of the older people in my class is that most other students have taken science courses (anatomy, chemistry, etc.) much more recently than I have. The last time I took Anatomy was about 6 years ago, and Chemistry was probably 8 or 9 years ago! I'm lucky I remember what the Periodic Table is, nevermind what makes something an isotope (I know, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).

So, I've got a lot to learn, or at least a lot to brush up on. But I guess that's what I should have expected.

Then at 1:20 (turns out class ends then, not 1:50, which is why I can go back to work at 2 and get to come in at 8:30 on Fridays), I change back into work clothes, hop on the el (I don't know why, but I prefer to take the el back), and am back at work.

This transition is the hardest. I have really been having a hard time picking up at work where I left off in the morning. So far though, I've done whatever needed to be done, so at least the boss can't complain. Or shouldn't. Whether or not they have grounds to complain doesn't really seem to matter most days...

Friday I got to sleep until 6:30. After getting up so early the rest of the week, this felt like a miracle. And to not have to transition during the day was great. I think that I'll appreciate Fridays now more than every before.

Well, that was my week. and now it is Saturday afternoon. I spent the morning cleaning up the apartment a little, and now I am going to sit on the couch with a cup of coffee, listening to the Indigo Girls and leaning everything I could ever want to know about prokaryotes and eukaryotes.

4 comments:

simplicity said...

you can do it, you can do it, you can do it.

i'm sure it's a tough transition and balancing act to go to school and work plus stay on top of being a wife and friend but you'll do great.

week one is history now!

Anonymous said...

i feel your pain!! i have to get up for band at about 5 am, then I have band practice, which is tiring. then i have school. after that i usually have something going on after school. then it's homework. finally i go to bed at about 11-11:30 pm. and then i start over! haha
but your kind of schooling sounds like soooo much more fun than mine! : )

Melissa said...

alli - i am inspired by you. you go, girl! and yes, the nature center is pretty much in our backyard...the north park nature center, right off of pulaski! close enough for a study break stroll. :)

Anonymous said...

hi you! yeah for starting school, etc. your schedule sounds crazy... I am gonna add your blog to mine - k? when your homework and my homework dies down, we shoudl catch upsometime! :) take care of yourself - liz