Let me emphasize this: sometimes Luke needs to wake up in the morning, get ready for work, catch the el, and be to work at 6 a.m.
This is an obscenely early hour for anyone to be at work. I did it once a week in college for a little while, but I also only had a 5 minute commute.
So, because it saves him at least half an hour on these mornings, I will often drive him in to work.
My mom likes to kid me that I spoil him by doing that, but I can't help feeling lately that I am definitely the one who is spoiled.
A couple of weeks ago, there was a crazy thunderstorm here in Chicago, shortly before my commute home. After Luke had called to tell me that the trains were backed up, I decided to try the bus. As the bus crept up Michigan Ave. and poked along Lake Shore Drive in the traffic, we passengers gazed out the window at the torrential rain, trees that had fallen on cars, and debris in the road. Once up north, I waited with my umbrella for the Foster bus. The streets were flooding up onto the sidewalks. It was a really miserable night. It took me two hours to get home, and by the time I reached the front steps of the apartment building, I was exhausted.
Luke met me at the door, with a towel. He wrapped it around me and led me up to our apartment, where he had laid out pajama pants and a sweatshirt for me to change into.

Then, on Monday night of this week, we realized that we had run out of coffee. This isn't as big an issue for Luke as it is for me. While he's been drinking coffee more since we've been married, he is still not as, well, dependent on coffee as I am. I definitely didn't feel like running out to the store, so I just decided that I would get coffee at Billy Goat's Tavern before I went to work (it's only $.50!).
The next morning the alarm went off about 20 minutes earlier than I had set it for. Confused, I turned to Luke to ask whether he knew why an alarm was set for so early.
"Oh, I set it. So that I could go to the store and buy you coffee," he replied. And with that, he got up, at 6 o'clock in the morning on a day when he could have slept until 11 if he had wanted, and he got me my coffee for the morning.

And that is why I have no problem getting up at 5:25 to drive Luke to work occasionally. Besides, I then also get an extra half hour with him that I would otherwise have missed!
Side note: It took me three tries to spell occasionally right. THREE! Pathetic...
5 comments:
So sweet! You are a lucky girl to have such a great guy! It seems like you are both spoiling each other!
Thanks for sharing such a cute and special story of your relationship. I'm glad that you're both spoiling each other!
May the spoiling continue as you grow old together! Ain't love grand?
Well my dear Alli, I am spoiling my Luke as well. I wake up with him every morning to make his lunch before he leaves for school. He spoils me by bringing home a paycheck. Oh, love is grand!!!!
i love this post. and love that you love coffee as much as me! look for a post in the near future about the detox i'm having in the states without my four-times-daily cafe con leche! :)
Post a Comment