Friday, February 15, 2008

My Regal Beagle...er...Bagel...

After my mom told me about Uno, the beagle who won the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, I can't help taking the opportunity to show off our sort-of-beagle (and by our, I mean my family's...I'm not sure that Luke would take any ownership of her, even though I'm sure he secretly loves her as much as we do).

When I was a junior in college, a friend with an off-campus apartment decided to get a puppy. A beagle-basset hound mix, or a bagel. He named her Sadie, and I enjoyed going over to play with her. Eventually, though, it became clear that a puppy was more responsibility than he could handle with a demanding work and school schedule. He began to look for a new home for Sadie. I simultaneously began the not so tough process of breaking my parents (especially my mom) down. We already had two cats and two dogs at home, so it was tougher than I might have liked, but my mom is a sucker for puppies, plus she had had a basset hound growing up.

So, my dad drove out to pick me up at the end of the fall semester, and along with another Connecticut passenger began the LONG drive back to Connecticut. With a puppy. An untrained puppy.

It was a long, long (and sometimes smelly) drive, but we made it.

And thus began the life of the Tierney household with Sadie.

She's a punk, but we love her. One of these days a bagel will have its day in the sun of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, I'm sure of it.

How can you not love that face?

3 comments:

Jed and Anne said...

So cute! I am not even a dog lover and I think she's adorable!

Anonymous said...

I love Sadie! I remember meeting her for the first time when she was a teeny, tiny puppy and we were young college folk! She's the cutest!

Anonymous said...

During Sadie's first public appearance since the beagle win, someone asked me if she was Uno!! She is such a beauty!!! love mom