Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Tuesday

Disclaimer: This blog entry is political. While I don't consider anything I say controversial, it is hard for me to talk benignly about things I feel strongly about. So...take it with a grain of salt, alright? I know (really, I do) that my opinion isn't necessarily right one.

Tomorrow is Super Tuesday, which means that those of us in Illinois (and obviously several other states) get to vote in the primaries.

I still am not sure who I am going to vote for. I know that it will be a Democrat, mainly because I think that social programs are worthwhile and valuable to those who need them (and to everyone else, for that matter). I also believe that in order for these programs to work they actually need to be funded (preferably by people who can afford higher taxes).

Even though I like the idea of not throwing more money into the bureaucracy that these programs inevitably are, I really have a hard time believing that, left without government-funded social programs, the poor would be adequately cared for. Call me cynical, but I just don't have that much faith in human nature, I guess. Oh, and I also think that Trickle-Down economics is a load of crap (see disclaimer).

Anyway, Obama or Clinton.

With it being in the news so frequently, and so highly emphasized, I hadn't thought much recently about how incredible (if overdue) this is.

When people first started speculating about who would be running in the primaries, I remember doubting very much that either a woman or an African-American would make it this far. I just didn't think that America was ready for it.

Like I said, I know it's overdue, and I know that it's a little silly to feel so good about something that should really not even be an issue by this point in our country's history, AND I know that there is still a lot of progress to be made. But I can't help feeling so encouraged by this, and what it means for the (slow, yes, but still...) progress that our country is making against racism and sexism.

3 comments:

simplicity said...

Alli, Great post and insights. I hope you made your way to vote today.

And political is ok by me. I think it's important sometimes to discuss so that we make decisions based on knowledge rather than just feelings.

The want people to educated and informed, ie. don't just vote for Hillary because she's a woman and don't just vote for Obama becuase he's black. Figure out what they stand for, what you believe and if you agree. And that goes for all candidates, but those are the only two that are outside the "norm". The sad norm but the true norm.

Ok all that to say, thanks for a good insightful post. Happy Super Fat TuesdaY!

simplicity said...

By the way I was meaning I want people to be educated and well informed (Which you are) but I'm referring to ALL voters.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.