I did manage to get this cute one of Luke and Kathy at a state park outside of Sioux Falls.
So, since we were already going to be more than halfway there, and we have an anniversary coming up (Monday!), we decided that this would be a good time to do just that.
On Monday morning we packed up from Sioux Falls and headed out west, stopping at several tourist attractions along the way:
The World's Only Corn Palace (I don't have my picture from this uploaded on my computer yet, but I'll add it when I get a chance),
Al's Oasis (shoot, I don't have this picture on yet, either!)
and Wall Drug
Luke and the jackalopeWe pulled into our beautiful bed and breakfast at about 5:30, and headed into Deadwood to check it out (for my dad's sake), and to get some dinner.
The view from our roomI was really surpised to see, on our way to Deadwood, the damage done by a forest fire. It was spooky, and the charred trees came right up to houses in several places-we couldn't understand how the houses survived!
Forest fire damageIn Deadwood, we saw "Wild Bill" Hickock's grave, as well as "Calamity Jane's," and also got to see where he was shot.
Wild Bill's grave
Me and Wild BillWe gambled $5 (won $.2.50), and then ate some dinner upstairs from a casino. Not THE casino, mind you. A casino. It was nearly impossible to find a restaurant in Deadwood which was not primarily a casino. It was a pretty strange town.
Deadwood at nightOn the ride back to the B&B, we had driven for about five or ten minutes through the mountains when we came around a bend, and the moon was shining in the twilight sky. I was playing around with the camera, so i took a picture. I know it's a silly and blurry picture, but I think it at least gives you the idea of the colors of the sky and the brightness of the moon. It was pretty cool.
The next morning we headed to Custer State Park for a hike. We stopped at Sylvan lake and followed one of the trails there. It was a great hike with great views, but definitely showed us how out of shape we really are! Phew!
Same, zoomed out
A mule deer we saw along the way-check out those ears!Next, we drove through the park along Needles highway, a stretch of road that winds through the mountains and offers great views of the "needle" rock formations (like the ones we saw from the top on our hike). It was a pretty crazy drive!
Throughout the later part of the drive, we saw lots of animals, including buffalo, an antelope, mountain goats, and burros.
From Needles Highway we got onto Iron Mountain Road, which leads to Mount Rushmore, and on which you can see Mt. Rushmore from each of the three tunnels.
After Mount Rushmore, we drove by Crazy Horse. I would have liked to have gone in, but it would have cost us $20, and it wasn't something we had planned on doing. So, this is what I've got to show for it:
I'm sure it will be beautiful when it is finished.The next morning it was time to head back to Sioux Falls, but we made a stop along the way to drive through the Badlands. Here are our shots from there:






All in all, it was a great trip. We only wished that we could have spent more time. I guess it just means we'll have to go back one of these days.













5 comments:
How fun to see your South Dakota adventure!
And, HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!
Happy Anniversary Alli and Luke! Loved the pictures of your adventures. I never knew there was a "boring" side of SD, sadly, I've assumed the whole state was boring but your post obviously proved otherwise :)
That looks like it was such a fun trip, Alli! I'm glad you two had that adventure. Happy Anniversary tomorrow!
beautiful pictures!
Happy anniversary! (I got here by a convoluted path - I didn't actually realize it was one year today). Anyway, I was in SD a few weeks before your wedding (http://flickr.com/photos/notjake/page6/) and actually went to the Crazy Horse memorial - it would be worth the trip next time you go out. Hope all's well with you guys -- we'll be at the Pines five weeks from today!
Post a Comment