Saturday, February 26, 2011

Well, I haven't posted all winter, unfortunately.

There hasn't been a whole lot to say, but I'm sure I could have come up with something.

Work is still just okay, on good days (and just plain awful on bad days), and life outside of work is still pretty fantastic.

Luke and I have been having fun with a Christmas gift from my aunt, a gift certificate to The Chopping Block, a cooking store in Lincoln Square (a nearby neighborhood). We took a class called From Beer to Eternity, which (as the name indicates) used beer as an ingredient in four courses:

Cheddar, Bacon and Beer Soup with Thyme Beer Biscuits




Belgian Ale Steamed Clams and Mussels




Sauteed Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Beer and Cherry and Mustard Glaze


Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting




YUM.

In bigger news, Luke got a new job! He'll now be working for a network of hospitals in the north suburbs of Chicago, as a Multimedia Services Specialist (I think that's the right title). This means several things for us, in addition to a new job description: a (mostly) Monday-Friday 9-5ish job for Luke, a little more income (which means I'll definitely be cutting back my hours in May), and....

...that we need a new car for Luke's commute!

I am pretty proud of Luke for landing this job. While it is similar in actual work to his other job, I think that the work environment will be much better, he will be paid what he deserves, and I think that there will be better opportunities for him.

I'm preparing myself for a 14-hour night tonight, which I am really dreading. My co-worker asked me to pick up these extra two hours for her, and I couldn't say no.

I've picked up two coping mechanisms of sorts from two of my favorite TV shows that I hope will help me get through this shift. The first is from Modern Family, and is a mantra that helps me remember not to panic when things get crazy. Apparently it's from some kind of military branch or something originally, but I prefer this reference (01:20):

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!"

The other is a song from Glee. I'll refrain from any explanation about how this applies to nursing, but suffice it to say that it is dramatic, and it makes me feel better. Here is where I would add a smiley face, if I felt that a blog post was an even remotely appropriate place for a smiley face.


Love Mercedes.

Well, I've been up for two and a half hours, which means it's time for me to take a Benadryl and head back to bed. What a life.

No comments: